There are a great many varieties of curry. This is a recipe for how to make a yellow-curry sauce that is a kind of Thai Curry. It is a versatile sauce that you can use with a variety of meats, vegetables and tofu.
- Start by making a blond roux (or basic white sauce)
- To this, add about 2 Tablespoons of Curry Powder
* Curry Powder comes in a few different varieties: green, red and yellow. What I am using is yellow curry powder that is made up, generally, of tumeric, coriander, fenugreek, cumin, red pepper, black pepper, cinnamon, ginger, star anise, cloves, cardamon, fennel, nutmeg, laurel, allspice and garlic. If you don’t like the flavor of any of these ingredients, you can always make your own curry powder out of any of the ingredients I just listed.
- Add 1 can of coconut milk (be sure that it is coconut milk and not coconut juice– big difference!)
- After the sauce is homogenous, add the juice of one lime. (Taste the lime first to make sure it isn’t bitter.)
- Salt to taste and top with freshly chopped cilantro and/or thai basil.